3 ways to promote yourself on Social Media

Brands and businesses shouldn’t try to use social media just to sell. That’s short sighted. What you want to create is a true community of people who will become champions of your business and always have you top of mind because they have got to know, like and trust you. So, how should you promote yourself on Social Media?

Be helpful- help people with no ulterior motive. If people ask questions, answer them. Remember, only one person may have asked it, but an unlimited number of people may want to know the answer! This isn’t just questions directed to you on your Facebook page, if you see someone put a question up on twitter that you know the answer to, get in there and give it! Share your knowledge! Give advice. Give tips. If you sell something, you make a customer today. If you help someone, you can create a customer for life.

Promote others- This is huge for engagement. Most people you promote via retweets or link sharing will in turn promote you. (Or at the very least follow you and become a fan) Obviously anyone you promote must compliment your business and be in keeping with your beliefs & image. I’m not talking promoting your competition :) this is another way of being helpful to others and great networking. It’s also helpful to your followers if you are sharing important and useful information.

Don’t try so hard- Think of it as you sharing your world, not trying to “promote” yourself. You want others to enjoy it with you, learn about you, your brand and the things you’re passionate about. People want to like others; we just have to let them in! As cliché as it is, just be yourself. That makes it real and makes you relatable. You know your business, you know your brand. Just have the confidence to show people.

3 ways to promote yourself on Social Media

The thing with social media is you can’t just blast your message/ sales pitch out the whole time, you need to respond to people and give them other forms of engagement too, whether that be information, tips & advice, entertainment, humour or just having a conversation!

Some of the biggest assets to your company may never buy a thing, but they will be invaluable. They have gotten to know, like and trust you so they will tell others about you. They will genuinely promote you without even trying.

Hope this helped 😉

Katrina x

26 Responses to 3 ways to promote yourself on Social Media

1. As always, such a thoroughly considered and informative read. One of my greatest challenges is finding that “about right” in business and social media. Love how you put things and always feel so much clearer about my path after having read your posts. You’re a credit to your profession.

2. Tegan says:

Great tips as always!

3. Mystery Case says:

Great tips and looking forward to sharing this with a number of clients. Gorgeous photo, is it one of yours or do you have the source?

• thanks. Not my pic (though I did add the text…lol) I have just searched for it now to find the source but couldn’t find it. I just save cool pictures as I see them. I should take note and give image credit shouldn’t I?…

4. Jo says:

Great tips. As a business to business it is hard sometimes to stay focused on social media or not get frustrated by the seeming lack of benefit, and this has reminded me of what it’s all about. Thanks Katrina.

• Yes, it’s difficult because it is hard to show an accurate ROI. I believe we can give all the stats we want but it will never truly show the real benefit of social media to the brand so it can sometimes be hard to have people recognise how important it is.

5. Dorothy says:

Love this! So often people use social media to just sell, sell, sell. We forget that we should be providing value to our fans and followers. A great reminder.

6. Rob says:

Great info! We try our hardest to do most of these tips… especially the helping.. we do everything we can to help anyone.

7. Marilyn says:

Being helpful works, sharing others is a great way to help them out. I love to share things about others.

8. I agree social media isn’t about self promoting. It is about building meaningful relationships and helping others.

9. Excellent tips. I especially like the helping! I also believe social media is not about self promoting. It’s about building relationships! Thanks for sharing!

10. MamaRed says:

Excellent excellent advice and so right on the nose! And finding the balance between those who “always sell” (which drives me bonkers) and helping without any promotion has been my personal challenge. Thanks for the reminders.

11. Anne Allen says:

Love this! Too many people on Social Media who only post their stuff and never like or share other people’s events or posts. Thank you!

12. Cindy Taylor says:

Do true….it is all about relationship here in social media! I have observed that those who try to “sell” stuff or themselves, don’t stick to it very long and then move on to something else. Those of us who build relationships are in it for the long haul! Thanks for the insights!

13. Erin says:

Great tips about the best ways to promote yourself (and others) on Social Media! I totally agree with all of them. :)

14. Lorii Abela says:

Helpfulness is still the key to creating a lasting relationship, may it be business related or personal relationships. How can I help you? 😉

15. Robomum says:

Great tips! Don’t be a try-hard and be nice ;o)
    Good message to live by.

16. Great tips! I believe that promoting one another truly is important. In promoting each other we can connect one anothe with others that have similar interests and continue to grow and expand our businesses:)

17. Pat Moon says:

I agree that you will turn people off if all you do is promote your business on Social Media. To me, social media is about building relationships through every day conversations. Thanks for a great article full of good tips.

18. Robin says:

That’s soooo true! We try to follow the 70/20/10 rule when it comes to our social media. 70% pure helpful content, 20% sharing other people’s stuff and only 10% promoting :) It works wonders!

19. Sharon O'Day says:

This really comes down to the powerful art of the soft sell, doesn’t it, Katrina. Sort of like a “what-goes-around-comes-around” approach to business development. Great explanation of how to apply it to social media!

20. Nice clear path, Katrina. it is all about relationship here in social media – keep promoting it. AND, your website is pretty cool! :)

21. Don’t try so hard jumped out at me…great article!

22. […] let them in! As cliché as it is, just be yourself. That makes it real and makes you relatable. ( http://www.silversparrowsm.com.au/2013/07/01/promote-yourself-on-social-media/ ) 4. Briefly indicate how you could help a business establish a social media presence There are 10 […]